Data Protection Officer (DPO)
About the Course and DPO Role
Our course will provide you with a basic overview of what your role is as a Data Protection Officer.
The GDPR introduces a duty for you to appoint a data protection officer (DPO) if you are a public authority or body, or if you carry out certain types of processing activities; processing special category data and personal data relating to criminal convictions and offences on a large scale.
DPOs assist you to monitor internal compliance, inform and advise on your data protection obligations, provide advice regarding Data Protection Impact Assessments (DPIAs) and act as a contact point for data subjects and the supervisory authority.
The DPO must be as independent as possible, an expert in data protection, adequately resourced, and report to the highest management level.
A DPO can be an existing employee or externally appointed, BLS Stay Compliant carry out the role of DPO for a variety of organisations in different sectors.
DPOs can help you demonstrate compliance with the legislation and are a crucial part of the enhanced focus on accountability.
We run very dynamic courses, responding to attendees needs and learning requirements on the day, but delegates can expect to learn, discuss and through scenario based sessions understand the following:
- The role of the Data Protection Officer
- Other key roles and responsibilities
- Law and Ethics
- The Data Protection Act 2018
- The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- The Rights of Individuals – including Subject Access Requests, redaction and freedom of information requests
- What to do in a data breach
- Data protection in contracts and procurement
- Data Privacy Impact Assessments
- Very interesting and informative – thank you!
- Really useful and great to have people participating from a range of different organisations and perspectives
- I genuinely really enjoyed this course, I didn’t think I would! Just thought it would be necessary to do but it made real sense and I felt involved and interested throughout